Table of Content
Scope and Excitement of Physics
Physics help us in a number of ways and affects daily life at aspects. The scope of Physics is quite vast as it deals with different circumstances under different quantitative and qualitative experimental conditions. The scope of physics can be understood under the two disciplines; microscopic (deals with physical world of atoms and molecules) and macroscopic (deals with physical world of large bodies)
The microscopic domain includes the study and understanding of atoms, molecules, nucleus and other tiny particles. The microscopic domain forms the foundation for Modern Physics. To know about the scope of Physics at the microscopic level, let’s understand what Modern Physics is:
Modern Physics is a subdivision of Physics which covers the understanding of energy and matter at the microscopic level. Matter and Energy are not considered separate in modern physics but alternate forms of each other i.e. they are interconvertible. Modern Physics is studied under two sections.
- Quantum Mechanics
- Theory of Relativity
The branch of science which deals with motion and interaction of subatomic particles. Quantum Mechanics help us to understand how the universe operates at the atomic level. Several important concepts like quantization of charge, wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle are covered in Quantum Mechanics.
Theory of Relativity
The theory of Relativity is proposed by Einstein. This theory helps us in understanding inertial (non-accelerated) and non-inertial (accelerated) frames of reference and how it affects subatomic particles. Theory of Relativity is the reason behind why Sir Albert Einstein is known as Father of Modern Physics.
The macroscopic domain of physics includes the study and understanding of finite size objects and terrestrial bodies. We study the macroscopic domain of Physics in Classical Physics.
Classical Physics deals with macroscopic bodies at terrestrial and astronomical level. It helps in understanding the interaction between two bodies, the force they apply to each other and what they are made of. Classical Physics is again subdivided into following disciplines.
Mechanics deals with the motion and general systems of particles, deformable bodies, rigid bodies and flow of liquids. In mechanics, we study the position and energy of the object. Newton Laws of Motion frames the basic of Mechanics where we get to know about how bodies and forces are interlinked, and how we can modify them to get desired inventions.
Mechanics covers following concepts:
- Rocket propulsion with the help of ejecting gases
- Propagation of water waves or sound waves in air
- Equilibrium between bodies under different experimental conditions
Thermodynamics deals with the relation between heat and conversion of heat into different types of energy (mechanical, electrical or chemical energy). You will get to know how engines work, what efficiency is and how Thermodynamics affects our life at various levels.
In thermodynamics, we study about
- Efficiency of heat engines and refrigerators
- The direction of a physical or chemical process
- How body behaves differently at different temperatures and surroundings
- Changes in internal energy and entropy, through supply of external heat and work are done on the system
Electrodynamics is a branch of science which deals with the interaction of charged bodies with magnetic and electric fields. It's basic laws are proposed by Coulomb and Oersted and are of great interests in thermodynamics.
Some interesting applications in electrodynamics are
- The motion of current carrying conductor in electric and magnetic field
- Different types of voltage supply i.e. DC and AC and how we can interconvert them to save electricity
- The working of antenna and transmission of signals
- The flow of radio waves in ionosphere
Optics is a branch of science which deals with light and its basic characteristics; reflection and refraction. Optics helps in analyzing the formation of images from distant objects by different types of mirrors and lens. Many flabbergasting phenomena like the twinkling of stars, a scattering of light, the formation of rainbow and time of sunset and sunrise are explained in Optics.
We learn in optics about
- The working of telescopes and microscopes
- Image formation in different types of lens
- Colour exhibited by thin films
Experiments and Researches frame the achievements and contributions of physics in our life. Some achievements and researches occurred in physics so far are
- Tread Walk is a mobility device for the elders and disabled ones.
- A lithium paper battery is an invention by Stanford researchers.
- Virtual Garage is designed by Jaguar Land Rover which helps in modifying cars in a virtual manner
- Visually Impaired Assistant invented by Noam Klopper helps the blind to skip obstacles on the road and provides directions via GPS technology
Overall glimpse of Physics is beautiful and becomes more appreciable as we learn more about the subject. The scope of physics is quite vast and covers an enormous range of magnitude of physical quantities like mass, length, time, energy etc. The scope is divided into two sections, where on one side it studies about phenomena at a very small microscopic level involving and analyzing electrons, protons, and neutrons. At the other side, we try to study bodies of huge size orders.
Physics is exciting in a number of ways. The scope of physics express itself in some beneficial ways are:
- Few concepts and laws can explicate many natural phenomena covering large order of quantities
- New experiments help in unlocking secrets of nature and form new laws to explain complex theories
- Application and modification of laws help in inventing good devices to ease human comfort
Watch this Video for more reference